Re: forum spam prevention

Make sure to pick the right one wink

Tobbe wrote:

Make sure to pick the right one wink

I've tested both out, and both seem to work marvelously. However, there is one that is more featured, which is probably the "right one". smile

Yeah, we need the one that emails the user telling them why they couldn't sign up, and who to contact if they think this is a mistake

installed smile

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

The current spam prevention is not sufficient it seems. sad

I don't think it's too bad. Some spam will always go though, no matter what you do. If it stays at this level it's manageable. I just have to come here more often to clean it up! smile

There's 2 more posts since you said that, I'm willing to help clean if you want.

Yeah, I noticed now sad My GM script will make it less of an effort for me to ban someone at least... (See my other post for details http://forums.litestep.info/viewtopic.php?pid=579#p579)

Does anyone know where the-golem's at? He can ban users too. And rootrider.

I haven't seen the-golem around at all lately. rootrider doesn't seem to be active either, but he's around.

Hmmmm sounds like we need some more mods.....

Litestep will never die.

Yeah, we should get Acidfire to mod the boards too. I'll try to talk to rootrider about that.

Acidfire wrote:

I haven't seen the-golem around at all lately. rootrider doesn't seem to be active either, but he's around.

My apologies. The holidays have kept me pretty busy, and I haven't bothered much to boot up the ol' IRC. Also, SW:TOR.

Glad your back the-golem! smile

Hi guys, just a proposal,
I m connected on the forum Monday to Friday on 8 am to 5 pm (GMT +1).
If you are interested, I could delete the spam post and spam user, if you grant me the admin right.

I know its hard to prevent all the spammers from getting in but it should be better than it is now.

Isn't there a extension that forces you to confirm by mail? (or is that something we have, cant remember)
Or perhaps have like the old pc games had, find word X on row Y in the Litestep manual in your Litestep-folder?

41 (edited by tphg 2012-09-10 10:08:13 am)

Perhaps have them enter the IRC channel and say Nick and E-mail and then have a Moderator create the account with a temp pass that the user then verify and change to there own password.

Can't be too much work for mods since i don't thine there are that many new real users?

It makes me a little sad when 90% of the users are Banned (or soon to be) spam bots. sad

Only problem with that is the fact that about 10% of the people know what IRC is.  I did run across a nice spam protection feature on another forum the other day.  They had a "Random Question" generator that asked you to perform math with two words in order to sign-up.  For example, my question was "What is twenty plus thirty?" and you had to respond with "fifty" and not "50".

tphg wrote:

I know its hard to prevent all the spammers from getting in but it should be better than it is now.

Isn't there a extension that forces you to confirm by mail? (or is that something we have, cant remember)
Or perhaps have like the old pc games had, find word X on row Y in the Litestep manual in your Litestep-folder?

It sucks, but I checked with rootrider, and the amount of spammers that get in is small in ratio compared to the amount of spammers that are blocked out.

the-golem wrote:

It sucks, but I checked with rootrider, and the amount of spammers that get in is small in ratio compared to the amount of spammers that are blocked out.

Perhaps but for me, one is too many and there has been a lot in the last few days.
And looking at the Memberlist is depressing. sad

I'm hoping that the new "Random Question" protection will do.
Is it possible to remove all the Banned users from the member list? Have the forum a build in function for it?

That would depend on how the banned system works.  Sometimes they involve tracking IP Subnets and banning there as well as the username to prevent the same user from creating a new account, if so you kinda need them around.  However, you don't need to display banned users in the userlist.  *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink*

I found this http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … stop-spam/
Not sure how it works but people seem to be happy. But thin i don't know if spam on there forum has gone down to zero or just less.

I'm unsure what has been tried here already so I'll just post anything i find.

sad

Spam Sucks, has always been around since the advent of forums, and will most likely be there till the day the net goes off line... Always some smacktard wanting to spam the crud out of everything... 

The best one can do is implement those measures that cause the average user the least amount of frustration and have plenty of Forum mod's active around the clock to qualm the ebb when it arises..

Best of luck. smile

The spams doesn't even make sense and it seem strange that they get anything from it.

I'm still back at letting admin create account and user to enter the IRC channel and ask for one.
With webIRC that shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

the real problem is that it looks like there are real people behind a lot of the registrations. We're basically looking into more drastic measures to keep spam off the forum more easily sad

and we are blocking a ton of registrations from ever even happening. I'm being spammed by 'registration blocked' emailed on some days.. hundreds in a day.

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011