1 (edited by TheArkive 2012-12-13 03:25:34 am)

Topic: System Tray Modules cause crash (Partially Solved)

This is a weird one.  Only one application is crashing.  The app runs fine unless I use systray2.dll or any of the other 3rd party modules.

The app is Pinnacle Game Profiler.  Here is the crash report:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    pinnacle.exe
  Application Version:    6.7.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    50b360e9
  Fault Module Name:    KERNELBASE.dll
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.17932
  Fault Module Timestamp:    50327672
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    0000c41f
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    52d9
  Additional Information 2:    52d9ae8674b4af11620f92ad932c683d
  Additional Information 3:    89ff
  Additional Information 4:    89ff4267c9fc5f3e0d0b16bdcd196995
=====================================================
I'm running Win 7 x64 Ultimate.  I haven't had any problems like this with LiteStep before.

pinnacle.exe has been known to randomly crash in explorer, but in this case it crashes when the tray icon is loaded (whether or not it is updated with a !bang command).

My LiteStep ver is the 0.25 Alpha (2009-04-04).  I'm working off a manual install, and so far this is my only problem.  I can probably work around this with AutoHotKey and other modules, but I wanted to report it just in case it was an easy fix.

======================================================

Update:

I used to be able to run pinnacle.exe without a systray module (still running Desktop, Command, and Shortcut modules).  Now I'm going as barebones as only desktop and shortcut modules, and now I'm getting this error every time I start pinnacle.exe.

I'm still trying to figure out if the fact that it seemed to work sometimes was a fluke or not.

Update:

I just tried running litestep with no modules, and I used the Task Manager to run pinnacle.exe ... still crashing.  Still searching for more answers too :-P

I happened my anti-virus program splash screen seemingly locking up on boot.  After a few iterations of this, and noticing that a crash of pinnacle.exe happened after a few minutes, I tried adding the folder where pinnacle.exe is located to the Exceptions list in the anti-virus program.  Magically things stop crashing.  It doesn't seem to matter what modules I load now.

Still one thing that is confusing.  When running explorer, pinnacle.exe never crashed on run while anti-virus was scanning.  On LiteStep, my anti-virus causes a lock-up when scanning pinnacle.exe.

I'm gonna guess that is too complex of an issue to actually consider as a pending "bug fix" :-P

I guess it's safe to say that if you are having random crash issues, and you think LiteStep is to blame (and you are running anti-virus), add the crashing program to the Exceptions list in your anti-virus program.