Topic: Anonymous CVS Access Ever Coming Back?

If I wanted to examine the codebase for older revisions, will this ever come back?  I noticed from an old litestep.devel thread it has not been active for a while.  I tried yesterday from my own Win 7 32-bit laptop with CVS installed via Cygwin.

$ cat cvs-litestep.bash
export CVSUSER=anonymous
export CVSSRV=lsdev.org
export PROJECT=litestep
export SRVPATH=cvs/$PROJECT
export CVSROOT=:pserver:$CVSUSER@$CVSSRV/$SRVPATH
$ echo $CVSROOT
:pserver:anonymous@lsdev.org/cvs/litestep
$ cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@lsdev.org:2401/cvs/litestep
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to lsdev.org(208.97.189.164):2401 failed: Connection timed out

I have tried multiple times over the last week or so, and I assume that old litestep.devel post describes the state of affairs up until now.

And yes, I know there is a Github repo, but that looks like it was only the last commit from CVS or zip folder added to a git repo and pushed to Github.

I assume from further research the State of the Shell explains why history dead-ends around 2011.  Does anyone have a full copy of CVS anywhere?  Am I screwed?

Thanks for LiteStep.  I became familiar with it from customizing it years ago for a job where we were building kiosks.  At the time it was, to me, the coolest open-source project for Windows, hands down.  It was a delight to learn from.  Thanks then and now.

2 (edited by alur 2013-08-21 11:33:34 am)

Re: Anonymous CVS Access Ever Coming Back?

Hi ajstein,

I have been planning to do a proper CVS -> git conversion, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll look into it tonight.

Edit: I'm doing a git cvsimport. From the looks of it, it might take days. I'll post here again once I get it up somewhere.

alur wrote:

Hi ajstein,

I have been planning to do a proper CVS -> git conversion, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll look into it tonight.

Edit: I'm doing a git cvsimport. From the looks of it, it might take days. I'll post here again once I get it up somewhere.

Very cool.  I saw some people mentioning you in the forums, and then found your git repo, and forked it.  I was looking into workflows and found git cvsimport as well; I got the impression it took ages.  Take your much-deserved time and let me know how it works out.

Ages feels like an understatement. I copied the CVS repository to my own SSD, and started the cvsimport 18 hours ago. It is currently processing commits from May 2006. (it is not using any CPU time, memory, or accessing the disk... i really don't understand why it is so incredibly slow.).

alur wrote:

Ages feels like an understatement. I copied the CVS repository to my own SSD, and started the cvsimport 18 hours ago. It is currently processing commits from May 2006. (it is not using any CPU time, memory, or accessing the disk... i really don't understand why it is so incredibly slow.).

Not sure it makes a difference, but you can always just try this tool from Tigris, cvs2git. I heard it has much better performance, but I am not sure.  I cannot really pitch it as I have not tried it yet.

6 (edited by alur 2013-08-22 22:13:37 pm)

I put it up on here for now: https://github.com/alur/litestep. Complete with tags and all smile

I feel a bit like there is one too many LiteStep repos up on Github now though; so, it may move in the not too distant future.

alur wrote:

I put it up on here for now: https://github.com/alur/litestep. Complete with tags and all smile

I feel a bit like there is one too many LiteStep repos up on Github now though; so, it may move in the not too distant future.

Thank you, sir.  Much obliged.  I am going to check it out now.