Topic: Taskbar hover-over question

Is there a way to have the title for a task you are hovering over display IMMEDIATELY?  Normally you have to wait 1-2 seconds for a hoverbox to appear.  I was hoping there was a way that if I hovered over the icon for a running task, the title could be displayed the second I do so.  If this takes a combination of modules (like having another module intercept the task title and display it) that's fine.

Re: Taskbar hover-over question

Please, read the sections "Timers" and "Special States", it explains how you can customize on hover. I expect it solves your problem.

PS: you did not say which version of your module, I'm assuming you use xTaskbar-2.3.2 or higher.

Actually I'm in the process of updating an old theme, my current one is 1.4.  I'm looking at the readme for 2.3.2 and I'm not sure it accounts for what I'm trying to do.  If it does, it's not obvious.  Here's what I'm seeing related to this:

"
ShowHoverState BOOL If this command is present it enables a visual change if the mouse hovers over a button. This command enables HoverButton settings.
"

"TrackingInterval INT Sets the timer that checks for hover events and OnLeave events. If no value is provided, then the default is 250 (ms).
"

I believe the first only relates to the graphic image changing when I hover over the task.  The second one just seems to time how often it checks for that.  I could be mistaken, but I think in both cases, if I simply hover over the task, I'm still going to have a delay before the title is displayed.  Is what I'm trying to do not possible with xtaskbar?  If so, are there any modules it is possible with?

Excuse me. I think you mean Tooltip, I misunderstood. Try reading the session "Tooltips".
But here's a preview:

TooltipDurations INT [INT]
The first INT value specifies in ms, how long the mouse must remain stationary within a module for the tooltip to show up. The second INT value specifies in ms, how long the tooltip is shown. Minimum: 1000 (ms)

Try using -> (xtaskbarname)TooltipDurations 100 2000

Good luck.

Well tooltips are maybe one way of accomplishing this, but the documentation you just posted says it requires a minimum of 1000ms for the delay.  This is the exact problem I'm having, I want the delay to be non-existent.  If the minimum has to be 1000ms, that doesn't help me I'm afraid.

If this isn't possible with tooltips, the alternative I was thinking of would be if there was some hook for another module like xlabel to get the information from.  Like if there was a way for it to read what task the mouse was hovered over and have it output that text in another module.

Right now it sounds what I want to do may not be possible however.

you can use a xlabel as a Tooltip. read the documentation about xPaintTooltip. This disables "TooltipDurations" and it has no minimum time requirement. if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.

Good luck.