Topic: Mirrors/Backups

Hey all, ancient LS user here that wants to get it popular again. Is there anything planned yet to backup/mirror the work that is being done here? I would hate to see another great loss of information and data again. I can donate bandwidth/space if wanted, I'm on a colo'd 2TB/mo 100mbps link.

On a side note, it seems that I'm not the only litestep user anymore. i was starting to get worried when we lost the other sites. glad to see people starting to work on it again.

Litestep will never die.

Re: Mirrors/Backups

agree completely... we definitely don't want to see a loss like we have in the past.

this current site is hosted on my own colo'd server.. but it's an old box and on a 1mbps connection (not that any sites on the server are ever getting close to that speed yet). We'll definitely need help with hosting, at least in some capacity, moving forward.

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

rootrider wrote:

it's an old box and on a 1mbps connection

1 megabit/second? Really? That's like nothing.

Tobbe wrote:
rootrider wrote:

it's an old box and on a 1mbps connection

1 megabit/second? Really? That's like nothing.

Even our temperamental box is 100mbits at least. :-)

yes.. really. Have you noticed? I bet you haven't big_smile

I have several sites on this server... I use less than 1/3 the bandwidth I'm paying for. It's not limited.. so it can burst over 1mbps. I'm just billed for 1mbps (95th percentile), and it's never gone over.

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

I don't belive you! big_smile
I just picked the biggest module I could find on modules.shellfront.org (screenwm-0.2) and got a speed of about 13.4Mbps

[tobbe@box ~]$ wget http://modules.shellfront.org/screenwm-0.2.zip
--2011-10-12 09:57:38--  http://modules.shellfront.org/screenwm-0.2.zip
Resolving modules.shellfront.org... 64.91.246.3
Connecting to modules.shellfront.org|64.91.246.3|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 2566721 (2.4M) [application/zip]
Saving to: "screenwm-0.2.zip"

100%[======================================>] 2,566,721   1.68M/s   in 1.5s

2011-10-12 09:57:40 (1.68 MB/s) - "screenwm-0.2.zip"

shellfront.org is hosted elsewhere big_smile

State of the Step 2011

doh! That explains it smile

I'm still super surprised the forum is on a 1mbps connection only, and still feels this fast. But I guess I'll take your word for it smile

Yah don't confuse latency with transfer speed. these pages aren't that large so it boils down to how fast the server responds back. big_smile

Litestep will never die.

indeed.. and as I said, the connection can burst over 1mbps if it needs to. It's only "1mbps" in that I'm billed for more if more the 95th percentile highest traffic goes over. You likely are never getting anywhere close to 1mbps when loading text web pages like this, since the files are so small.

State of the Step 2011

You are correct. Not very scientific, but downloading this page ten times gave an average speed of about .4mbps