Topic: forum spam prevention

two forum extensions have been enabled:

"stop bots"
requires you to answer two questions when registering. It also asks you these same questions when you post. It will then set a cookie so that it won't ask you the questions again for two weeks. After that it'll ask you the same questions again. They're easy questions.. trust me big_smile

"antispam"
this just adds a captcha at registration, when you go to reset your password, and when you fail several logins.

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

2 (edited by Tobbe 2011-10-06 10:34:24 am)

Re: forum spam prevention

So you're saying I'll have to answer a couple of questions now then?

EDIT:
Was actually only one question smile And I could write my second post without answering any questions!

right.. a cookie is set that means you won't have to answer questions for 20 days, according to the documentation. So, users who only visit once in a while will probably need to answer a question every time they need to post. Same goes for users who dump their cookies regularly.

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

What's the reasoning behind the 20 day limit? Seems pretty arbitrary to me...
IF the bot/spammer is smart enough to answer the question correctly the first time, it can spam the forums for 20 days, during which time we would have already banned it anyway. Plus, if it can answer the question correctly the first time, I'm sure it would do it the second time around as well...

So I'm not sure I understand what the point is. Do you know?

no clue... I didn't write the extension big_smile

State of the Step 2011

I guess what I'm saying is that the extra check after 20 days is pointless. So the cookie should be valid for ever.

Is it possible to configure how long the cookie should be valid for?

I've linked two other spam preventing extensions in the "Forum Extensions" thread, post id 155

Do members of a certain status eventually quit being nagged with these spam prevention measures?  I imagine it would only be new users that are spam bots...

No, there is no such functionality that I know of. There is just a cookie that is being set. So if you clear your cookies often, or use different machines/browsers a lot you will be annoyed by the spam preventing extensions sad

Both of these either don't work or are extremely annoying. Both should be disabled and reCAPTCHA used instead.

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … recaptcha/

I agree. I don't much like "stop bots". And I thought we already used reCAPTCHA, but we're not. "antispam" apparently uses some other form of captcha, maybe one that can be solved by OCR.

So, yeah, get rid of the annoying questions, and use recaptcha!

Third vote for reCAPTCHA

+1 for reCAPTCHA.

ok.. removed stop_bots. The registration captcha remains while I look at the recaptcha option

State of the Step 2011

removed antispam

added recaptcha

now we'll see how this affects spam on the site wink

State of the Step 2011

Perfekt! As long as the spam rate doesn't get any worse than it was before we should keep this! (Until a better option presents itself)

Just had someone post five identical spam posts to four different topics sad

just deleted another post and banned the user

spam is definitely going to happen.. but if it remains manageable then we should be 'ok'

State of the Step 2011

Is it a good idea to have to manually approve the first message every user posts?

Here's an interesting tidbit. Yesterday on my test forum (at about 1PM PDT) I got my first spammer, after having installed reCAPTCHA. After I banned the offender minutes after posting, I installed the StopForumSpam.com extension to see how effective it might be.

Since then, in less than 24 hours, that extension has caught eight different registration attempt from eight different IP addresses. As far as I'm concerned that plugin is pretty effective.

Worth noting is also that the SFS extension is configurable to send out emails to the blocked people. Something like "You have been blocked from the LiteStep forum because your IP address and user name combination has been used to post spam messages. If you feel this is an error, please send an email to moderator@forum.com"

22 (edited by the-golem 2011-10-28 09:16:04 am)

Tobbe wrote:

Worth noting is also that the SFS extension is configurable to send out emails to the blocked people. Something like "You have been blocked from the LiteStep forum because your IP address and user name combination has been used to post spam messages. If you feel this is an error, please send an email to moderator@forum.com"

Yes and no. There are actually two SFS extensions for punbb. The one I'm currently using is the StopForumSpam.com plugin. This plugin just sits in the background, and quietly blocks spam registrations.

The one Tobbe is talking about is the SFS Antispam plugin, which does all of what he said. This one seems newer and more featured.

So, do you will install the new one ?

It's rootrider who decides what extensions should be installed. Poke him! smile

I'll get to the stopforumspam extension soon smile

State of the Step 2011