Topic: How to keep Litestep from dying

hey guys.  I have a sensible but annoying suggestion.
So I was launching my PC today after having come home from fixing my Mom's PC.
When I started it up i thought about how glad i was that i had LiteStep instead of windows explorer as my shell.

Then it occured to me.... how long have I been using litestep?  It's been several years.
So I checked my Popup menu, found the About, and read it.

My LiteStep was compiled on Sept 2nd 2014 (LiteStep 0.25.0 Alpha)
It uses the TurtleSoup II theme by Doodle - which was made for an earlier LiteStep and i had to make some adjustments to get it to work and customize it for my preferred taste and 3 monitors.

So for about 5 years I have not updated LiteStep, visited the LiteStep community, or even thought about it.
If everyone does this then the individuals that work on LiteStep will have no idea how much they are appreciated in the back of our minds.  It works so well that we tend to install it, customize it, and then disappear for years.

In fact - I haven't been to this forum for such a long amount of time that i forgot i was registered and accidentally found my old registration e-mail while searching my for my new-attempted registration.

Litestep needs an update notification option.  Just check once a month. a very simple little popup in the corner of your screen :

"New Litestep Is Available.
Your Version: 
New Version:
X of Y number of modules have updates"

This is what it would take for someone like me to not forget how long it's been.
It'd also give me a reminder to pop in and say "Yes, I still use this.  Keep LiteStep Alive"

Thanks.

(Current system:
Win7 64bit
Dual Athlon processor
4 GB Ram
3 Displays
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
)

Re: How to keep Litestep from dying

People actually still use LS?! Amazing smile

Thanks for posting Waxy smile

I would still be using it if I could get it to work with Windows 10.
It's been around 3 years without LiteStep now, I miss it sad

I think it would be great to have some kind of push notifications that something has been happening on the update front!

I've been using it ever since win95 (LS b23). Been using the same theme for more than 20 years now, which means I never had to change the way I work for over two decades. I'm using LS on all my win10 machines now except my latest laptop (too many mobile functionalities are no longer working in LS).

LiteStep addict since b23. http://brembs.net

5 (edited by MAlgol 2019-10-11 05:04:52 am)

brembs wrote:

I think it would be great to have some kind of push notifications that something has been happening on the update front!

I've been using it ever since win95 (LS b23). Been using the same theme for more than 20 years now, which means I never had to change the way I work for over two decades. I'm using LS on all my win10 machines now except my latest laptop (too many mobile functionalities are no longer working in LS).

Does your win2k guide still work as you suggested in my old win10 thread?
http://forums.litestep.info/viewtopic.php?id=432

What! What? Wooo..

I tried to instal LiteStep right now and it works right out of the box! big_smile
A few errors telling me it couldn't read a few files that I just clicked past (will see if it will come back to haunt me later).

Lets see if I can find and get my old theme up and running.

Update#2:
Almost, it worked but as soon as I opened explorer I got both and when I tried to install my old theme jDesk wouldn't work. The Installer said it was downloaded but.. (couldnt see the rest because of the window size).

Restart had no trace of it.

On some machines, I had to go through the registry by hand to double check some of the entries. No idea, why there is this variation between machines. On the machine I use right now, I get explorer coming up randomly over LS maybe 2-3 times a year (and it runs for about 10h every work day). Never had that happen on my home machine, though.
So it should be working fine on essentially all win10 machines, with more or less manual labor.

LiteStep addict since b23. http://brembs.net

Ah, so there is LS-Life out there.
Is anyone still working on the LS project?
or is it now abandon-ware?