Topic: Visual Styles?

With many xmodules (like xtaskbar etc.) there are visualstyle readme files supposed to describe how to use these but I've never seen a theme using these and I fail to understand how to use them myself.

Anyone can give a hin't on the subject how to use these?

Re: Visual Styles?

This topic should be moved to the Help section.
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

free wrote:

This topic should be moved to the Help section.
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

No, this is the right section. The "Help!" Section is for general LiteStep questions, whearas what you asked pertains specifically to a set of modules.

free wrote:

With many xmodules (like xtaskbar etc.) there are visualstyle readme files supposed to describe how to use these

I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate a bit more? Maybe provide us with a link to a theme that comes with a "visualstyle readme"?

Tobbe wrote:
free wrote:

With many xmodules (like xtaskbar etc.) there are visualstyle readme files supposed to describe how to use these

I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate a bit more? Maybe provide us with a link to a theme that comes with a "visualstyle readme"?

The most recent xModules have a ".visualstyle" PaintingMode, which in should allow one to theme elements that use native XP and (in theory) Vista/7 elements.

xPopup-2.1 and xLabel-4.3 both have a visualstyle.htm as part of the module docs.

Yes but i can't figure out how to use these values from visualstyle.htm. Has anyone figured out how to use these to actually skin native windows elements?

the-golem: Yeah, re-reading the first post in this thread just now made it all clear to me. Don't know why I didn't get it the first time... Thanks for explaining!

free: Now you're confusing me again smile
visualstyle means you skin xLabel with the styles from windows. NOT that you can use xlabel to skin your windows wink

By the way, is there anything what can change them? Like in blackbox(?) shell

tails_ wrote:

By the way, is there anything what can change them? Like in blackbox(?) shell

No, we do not have any matter of changing actual window borders. To be blunt, we're a Shell, not a Window Manager. In my opinion, even if we did eventually do something like that, it'd be in the form of a "third-party utility" along the skein of the SetShell and EvarConfig utilities.

yeah.. the nature of the way Windows handles GUI's compared to *nix is very different. A windows shell will probably never handle window frames.. it's quite difficult, and there's a reason only a few applications have ever changed the window frames, at least until the XP styles came along.

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

Ok so those visual styles are used TO skin xlabel, and NOT to skin window boarders.

/EOT

Once Tobbe's bbPlugLdr starts working we can skin windows tongue

I'm lookig forward to it.

Acidfire wrote:

Once Tobbe's bbPlugLdr starts working we can skin windows tongue

Wow! Really?
Amazing, I can't wait for that.