Topic: Window 7 x64 taskbar support

I'm currently running litestep on my home gaming rig and my work laptop and the sound and network icons aren't click able and the network one doesn't update. i know this was mentioned a long time ago right when windows 7 was a beta but there hasn't been any place to inquire about a fix. if i remember right it was because there are more parameters that get passed on the click event that the modules don't know what to do with........

i have tried systray-1.10 and the latest version of xtray with no avail...... ideas?

Litestep will never die.

Re: Window 7 x64 taskbar support

Same here - none of these icons work for me. Try clicking on the 'notification area' in control panel - it crashes explorer for me..

LiteStep addict since b23. http://brembs.net

3 (edited by carbinefreak 2011-10-13 23:37:50 pm)

Yup same here.. its a module and core issue i think..... something that will hopefully get ironed out as this ramps up

Litestep will never die.

carbinefreak wrote:

Yup same here.. its a module and core issue i think..... something that will hopefully get ironed out as this ramps up

That's correct. There's already a patch for this in core, which is half the issue. There is supposedly a patched xtray (or similar module) floating around out there, but with the loss of ls-universe and ls-themes, we haven't been able to find it yet. Apparently, all the previous tray implementations "have been doing it wrong" the whole time.

To add to the-golem's answer:
We think the author of the xtray update is calling himself MamiyaOtaru. We have tried contacting him, but he hasn't gotten back to us. If anyone know how to find him, please do let us know!

or, if anyone happens to have a copy of his modified xtray, that'd be great big_smile

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

7 (edited by the-golem 2011-10-22 12:25:15 pm)

rootrider wrote:

or, if anyone happens to have a copy of his modified xtray, that'd be great big_smile

And the source would be extra great! smile

the-golem wrote:
carbinefreak wrote:

That's correct. There's already a patch for this in core, which is half the issue. There is supposedly a patched xtray (or similar module) floating around out there, but with the loss of ls-universe and ls-themes, we haven't been able to find it yet. Apparently, all the previous tray implementations "have been doing it wrong" the whole time.

so does anyone have a core built with the patch rolled in? if not i'll get around to building one here eventually when i get some free time.

Litestep will never die.

9 (edited by Tobbe 2011-10-22 23:42:47 pm)

Not that I know of. Please do make a build as soon as you can find the time!

Even better, obviously, if you could also find the time to fix a tray module to make use of the improvements in the core! smile

Hey ive got a couple warnings that i think MamiyaOtaru  can only answer because its associated with his new code. this is all build off of the CVS. below is the output of the compiler with the warned code from the patch. if you don't want to scroll up the patch is http://www.lsdev.org/bugs/view.php?id=107

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: utility, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  shellhlp.cpp
1>  debug.cpp
1>  Generating Code...
1>  utility_vc8.vcxproj -> C:\Users\cnbm47\Documents\Litestep Build\cvs\utility\../Debug_VC8\utility.lib
2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: lsapi, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
2>  stubs.cpp
2>  settingsmanager.cpp
2>  SettingsIterator.cpp
2>  SettingsFileParser.cpp
2>  settings.cpp
2>  png_support.cpp
2>  picopng.cpp
2>  MathValue.cpp
2>  MathToken.cpp
2>  MathScanner.cpp
2>  MathParser.cpp
2>  MathEvaluate.cpp
2>  lsapiInit.cpp
2>  lsapi.cpp
2>  graphics.cpp
2>  bangs.cpp
2>  BangManager.cpp
2>  BangCommand.cpp
2>  aboutbox.cpp
2>  Generating Code...
2>  match.cpp
2>     Creating library ../Debug_VC8\lsapi.lib and object ../Debug_VC8\lsapi.exp
2>  lsapi_vc8.vcxproj -> C:\Users\cnbm47\Documents\Litestep Build\cvs\lsapi\../Debug_VC8\lsapi.dll
3>------ Rebuild All started: Project: litestep, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
3>  WinMain.cpp
3>  TrayService.cpp
3>c:\users\cnbm47\documents\litestep build\cvs\litestep\trayservice.cpp(655): warning C4100: 'cbData' : unreferenced formal parameter
3>c:\users\cnbm47\documents\litestep build\cvs\litestep\trayservice.cpp(657): warning C4189: 'lr' : local variable is initialized but not referenced
3>  TrayNotifyIcon.cpp
3>  StartupRunner.cpp
3>  RecoveryMenu.cpp
3>  ModuleManager.cpp
3>  Module.cpp
3>  MessageManager.cpp
3>  litestep.cpp
3>  DDEWorker.cpp
3>  DDEStub.cpp
3>  DDEService.cpp
3>  DataStore.cpp
3>  Generating Code...
3>c:\users\cnbm47\documents\litestep build\cvs\litestep\trayservice.cpp(684): warning C4715: 'TrayService::TrayInfoEvent' : not all control paths return a value
3>  litestep_vc8.vcxproj -> C:\Users\cnbm47\Documents\Litestep Build\cvs\litestep\../Debug_VC8\litestep.exe
========== Rebuild All: 3 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

the first two are straightforward enough the DWORD cbdata never gets used even tough its required, and LRESULT lr never gets used after it gets declared.

LRESULT TrayService::TrayInfoEvent(DWORD cbData, LPVOID lpData) // size, data
{
 LRESULT lr = 0;

the final warning is because not all possibility are spelled out, which based on what i could figure out isn't a bad thing, just will be hard to debug if it ever gets in an unknown state.

if (s->dwMessage == 2) {
 return MAKELONG(16,16);
 }

POINT p;
 GetCursorPos(&p);

if (s->dwMessage == 1) {
 return MAKELPARAM(p.x, p.y);
 }

I would think that the first warning is something to care about but the last two can be blown off for now until it gets cleaned up.

Final binarys and changed code can be found here -> http://carbinehunters.com/litestep/

Joe

Litestep will never die.

Nice! Do you have win7? Does it make any difference?

12 (edited by brembs 2011-10-24 12:41:20 pm)

I use win7 32 on most of my machines and 64bit on one laptop. So if anyone needs me to test a thing or another on any of those systems, just let me know.

this was built on win 7 x64 and it does make a difference where the wireless connect window shows up, i'm currently trying to get xtray patched to test this 100%. the binaries that i built are 100% alpha so use at your own risk but shouldn't be any more unstable than the 0.25.0 alphas your already running. I just need to work some patch issues out.......

Litestep will never die.

the help is much appreciated.

A reminder to anyone looking to help: Please do make sure that any source you modify is made available as well as binaries.. we'd hate to lose any further advanced again smile

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

On that note. Can we attach files to messages yet?

carbinefreak wrote:

this was built on win 7 x64 and it does make a difference where the wireless connect window shows up, i'm currently trying to get xtray patched to test this 100%. the binaries that i built are 100% alpha so use at your own risk but shouldn't be any more unstable than the 0.25.0 alphas your already running. I just need to work some patch issues out.......

I compiled the patch myself as well. Unless I did something horribly wrong (which is entirely possible, but the change was small enough that I doubt it), the patch in-and-of-itself isn't enough. In my patch, nothing changed at all -- the behavior stayed the same.

17 (edited by carbinefreak 2011-10-26 02:37:37 am)

it changed quite a bit if for me running xtray-2.2.2, which is the newest i could find. it still doesn't work for clicks because that gets handled in the module from my understanding so i'm trying to dig some code up to play with...... but now i at-least get updates for my network status unlike before big_smile. i'm also getting popups but that also might be due to me upgrading to 2.2.2......

EDIT:
Found the 2.2.2 source burred on shell front! thanks rootrider! only problem is i don't have the lsapi header "AggressiveOptimize.h"....... still working on it
link to a ton of sources for modules and the binary's in the parent folder -> http://www.shellfront.org/modules/source/

Litestep will never die.

great news carbinefreak! keep the good work up!

carbinefreak: AggressiveOptimize.h is actually only meant to reduce the size of the dll. I'm pretty sure you can comment it out without problems.

Otherwise, here you go: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51925/LiteStep/ … Optimize.h

Also, here is the latest version of the patched xtray source I had laying around: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51925/LiteStep/ … 7icons.zip

and a patch based on the difference between the original 2.2.2 and that zip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51925/LiteStep/ … cons.patch

Warning: getimagesize(./extensions/pun_attachment/attachments/d36dba8bb124aa2dffd8507730116d3c/b3bcf1c134a853f3f81f4feed37e5265.attach): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/www/litestepforums/extensions/pun_attachment/include/attach_func.php on line 297

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /usr/local/www/litestepforums/extensions/pun_attachment/include/attach_func.php on line 306

Tobbe wrote:

smile

Post's attachments

ls-0246-fpn-20010102.png
ls-0246-fpn-20010102.png 14.36 kb, 4 downloads since 2011-11-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
State of the Step 2011

rootrider wrote:
Tobbe wrote:

smile

That's odd. I would have expected there to be a *small* preview, and clicking on the image would bring up the fullsize image in another window.

22 (edited by the-golem 2011-11-16 20:54:43 pm)

Jason Winzenried (MamiyaOtaru) finally responded to me on facebook. For documentation purposes:

MamiyaOtaru wrote:

yeah I worked on that for a while until it seemed like no one else with better understanding of, and access to the core was interested in running with it. What I've got is getting close to where it needs to be, but would hopefully be useful to any renewed effort to get Litestep working better in current/future versions of Windows.

I'd be happy to send it over, and anything else I've got that you might need. I'm out of town for the week but will give it a look when I get back. Litestep is too awesome to just fade out.

man it's be nice to have the top thread from this link back:
http://web.archive.org/web/201007140659 … orum.php?6

EDIT:
Found a few links that might be useful from MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … 85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … 85%29.aspx

Well for those that are following along with the Express version of Visual Studio, Microsoft doesn't bundle the afx components with the free (as in beer) version. I'm going to have to dig up an old full version from college. but its good news that MamiyaOtaru  is back in the swing of things.

Litestep will never die.

Good that you guys managed to track him down!

nice! talk about digging