Topic: Microsoft admits its new PC's may resemble"Giant smartphones"

http://www.informationweek.com/news/mob … /231903387
Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with smartphones but I think microsoft should let a PC be a PC and a smartphone be a smartphone. To try and combine the two at this point could create problems. Especially considering how horrible Microsoft is at making a decent interface for their phones. I think microsoft should make the transition little-by-little like Apple is doing.

Re: Microsoft admits its new PC's may resemble"Giant smartphones"

ugh..

well, I think it's clear that things are changing, and a lot of users will have their small notebooks, tablets, and phones replace their desktops, but I definitely don't like the way MS is going.

using LS since 1998. Old FPN site operator, owner of ShellFront, keeper of other LS domains
State of the Step 2011

I actually like the Windows Phone 7 interface... But not for pc's. What's the point if I don't have a touchscreen?

Thankfully I've also been noticing that I have less and less need for an actual pc. Maybe Win7 will be my last Windows...

4 (edited by Baron Bruce 2011-11-21 18:18:18 pm)

Acidfire wrote:

I actually like the Windows Phone 7 interface... But not for pc's. What's the point if I don't have a touchscreen?

Thankfully I've also been noticing that I have less and less need for an actual pc. Maybe Win7 will be my last Windows...

The metro UI is just too simple theres no real details to it whereas the android and iOs have much more detailed interfaces IMO. But yeah, definitely not for a PC. If i could I'd probaby switch to a tablet but I still need my PC to do certain things, plus litestep doesn't run on mobile devices..yet anyway.

rootrider wrote:

ugh..

well, I think it's clear that things are changing, and a lot of users will have their small notebooks, tablets, and phones replace their desktops, but I definitely don't like the way MS is going.

I agree.

Imo metro ui means:

• Less multi-tasking

• Less dev tools

• Enlarging the gap between normal and advanced computer users

The metro UI is designed JUST for a dumb end-user. It is the first interface with this in mind that is build from scratch and this is the policy we see in Apple's approach for the past years at least PR-wise.

This might force advanced users to use old ui or move to another os. Might it force windows power-users to use linux? This would be quite surprising.

I can't imagine using 3dsmax, photoshop, autocad, font creator, ilustrator, any coding tools, notepad++, tortoisesvn. I wonder if these might move to linux when microsofts stops supporting the old ui.

6 (edited by Baron Bruce 2011-11-22 00:03:19 am)

free wrote:

Imo metro ui means:

• Less multi-tasking

• Less dev tools

• Enlarging the gap between normal and advanced computer users

The metro UI is designed JUST for a dumb end-user. It is the first interface with this in mind that is build from scratch and this is the policy we see in Apple's approach for the past years at least PR-wise.

This might force advanced users to use old ui or move to another os. Might it force windows power-users to use linux? This would be quite surprising.

I can't imagine using 3dsmax, photoshop, autocad, font creator, ilustrator, any coding tools, notepad++, tortoisesvn. I wonder if these might move to linux when microsofts stops supporting the old ui.

There's also less freedom to customize, I doubt though that those programs you mentioned will switch over
to linux, but who knows. Windows 8 will be a major turnoff to many of its faithful users. But as always it seems microsoft has favored it's profit over it's userbase. At the same time though this might create more of a demmand for alternative shells

I do agree on it creating a demand but litestep is lightyears away from win7 explorer and we can hardly say it's beeing developed.

free wrote:

I do agree on it creating a demand but litestep is lightyears away from win7 explorer and we can hardly say it's being developed.

Of course, but if people dislike the windows shell perhaps there will be renewed interest in developing a shell for windows. Who knows.

free wrote:

Imo metro ui means:

• Less dev tools

that sums it up proper. tablets are consumption devices and that's fine.. hopping in bed with a tablet really changes things. my concern isn't that they will completely replace our desktops. developers will always need dev tools.. what happens is that the low demand for powerful machines will effectively drive up prices. a computer that runs Adobe CSX now costs ten grand. fuck that noise.

aaron.a wrote:

a computer that runs Adobe CSX now costs ten grand. fuck that noise.

I have to interject here and say that's just baloney. I have CS5 on my ~4 year old dual core and my laptop. Both cost less than $1500, and both handle it fine.

Well, i run cs5 photoshop on my pentium3 after getting rid of the stupid installation limitation.

It requred me to use a dualcore pc but it runs fine on a pentium3 rofl.

Sure it would run slow on windows7 with all it's crap running in the background but when i use my custom windowsxp build without any unneded stuff running in the background it is running as fast as it is on my core2duo@stock win7.
Thats how they force us to buy products we don't usually need.

free wrote:

Sure it would run slow on windows7 with all it's crap running in the background but when i use my custom windowsxp build without any unneded stuff running in the background it is running as fast as it is on my core2duo@stock win7.

If it "runs slow" on Win7, and your custom WinXP machine runs "as fast as it" on your stock Win7 machine, then isn't it running slow on your WinXP machine? Please enlighten me as to why this is something to be proud of.

Pentium3 + Windows XP = Core2duo + Windows 7 @ Photoshop CS5

Photoshop CS5's minimal requirements are Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor which means I run it on a machine that shouldn't run it at all and it runs as fast as on a better machine.

the-golem wrote:
aaron.a wrote:

a computer that runs Adobe CSX now costs ten grand. fuck that noise.

I have to interject here and say that's just baloney. I have CS5 on my ~4 year old dual core and my laptop. Both cost less than $1500, and both handle it fine.

lol hypothetically mate. i'm saying, in 5 or so years, when tablets and smart phones are the new desktop, buying a desktop that runs photoshop cs10 (or 12 or 15 whatever) will cost ridiculous prices because no one will be buying desktops. i wouldn't drop $2000 for an imac if it came with a free meal and a blowjob

Old news but, apparently they're going to ship some of the new windows 8 tablets with Microsoft Office as well.

Microsoft confirmed today that they would be bundling Office Home and Student 2013 edition with their Windows RT based devices.

This include their recently announced Surface branded Tablet PC.

This is great news for the consumers planning to get one of these devices. Windows RT is a Metro UI only edition of Windows 8 which would be offered through Tablet PCs and possibly other computing devices.

http://techwhack.com/microsoft-windows- … 2013-3924/